Tomorrow

Tomorrow

A dramatic scene for two women 

By: Holland Stull

Characters

Kyra: A young woman who's struggling with her realtionship

Abigail: Kyra's roommate who's gone through some struggle and is trying to help Kyra avoid the same problems


Kyra walks into the room through the front door. She walks past the couch where Abigail is sitting and turns her head subtly away from her as she passes. She walks over to the dining table and puts down her purse and keys, leaving her back to Abigail. Abigail looks up from the book that shes reading as Kyra passes. She stares at her back for a moment. 


Abigail: How was it?

Kyra startles a little at Abigails voice. She stays facing away from her. She busies herself looking at some mail on the table. 


Kyra: It was fine. Fun. It was fun. 

Abigail: Really? What did he have planned? 6 months is a while. 

Kyra: We just went to dinner and then hung out at his place. 

Abigail: Hmm. Sounds…boring. 


Kyra just shrugs. She pauses for a minute before starting to walk past the table to her room. 


Abigail: Kyra. 


Kyra pauses. 


Abigail: Why are you being weird?


Kyra stays facing away from Abigail. 


Kyra: I’m not being weird. 

Abigail: Then turn around. 

Kyra: I'm tired Abi. Can’t I just go to bed?

Abigail: Kyra…

Kyra: Please?


Abigail stares at Kyras back. Kyra sighs a deep sigh. She slowly turns around and reveals a deep bruise on her neck that wraps around half of it. 


Abigail: Oh my god Kyra. 

Kyra: Its not that bad. It doesn't hurt. 

Abigail: Just cause it doesnt hurt doesnt me its not bad. That is really bad Kyra.

Kyra: Its not that bad. 

Abigail: Stop saying that. Did Jake do this?


Kyra doesnt respond. 


Abigail: Kyra?!

Kyra: Yeah. Yes. 

Abigail: He strangled you?

Krya: God you’re being dramatic. 

Abigail: Dramatic? You have a handprint on your neck! He bruised a handprint onto your neck! Why would he do that?

Kyra: He just got a little upset. 

Abigail: A little upset?

Kyra: (with attitude) Yeah, a little upset. 


Kyra starts to walk away toward her bedroom. 


Abigail: God Kyra, I told you this would happen. I knew he would do something like this. 


Kyra turns around. 


Kyra: Don’t do this Abigail. You don’t deserve to do this. This is not the same thing. 

Abigail: I told you he seemed like he would do this. 

Kyra: Like you could actually tell that someone would do something like this. 

Abigail: You know that I would know better than anyone what this would look like. 

Kyra: Would you know? You didn’t see it last time. 

Abigail: I saw it this time.

Kyra: I’m done talking about this Abi, I’m going to bed. 


Kyra starts to take off her coat as she walks to her bedroom and reveals another bruise on her upper arm. She quickly pulls the coat back up, but not before Abigail sees it. 


Abigail: What did he do Kyra? A little upset doesn’t lead to bruises like that. 

Kyra: I was trying to leave ok? I wanted to go home and he wanted me to stay. 

Abigail: So he strangled you? That kept you there? 

Kyra: I didn’t have a lot of options Abi, okay? 


Kyra starts to cry a little bit. 


Abigail: Kyra?


Kyra tries to stop crying. She sits on the edge of the couch. 


Kyra: It’s fine. I’m fine. 

Abigail: Kyra.

Kyra: It’s so dumb. This is so dumb. 

Abigail: You know that I get it. 

Kyra: I know. I know. And you told me. You told me this would happen. And I was too damn stubborn. I didn’t want to listen to you. I thought he was different than this you know?

Abigail: I know. I get it. 


Kyra starts to cry. 


Kyra: I should have listened to you. I should have just in case. But I was so mad at you. For leaving me. For acting like you know better. Even after what happened to you, you still acted like you knew better and it pissed me off. I thought that I could show you, that you were wrong about him. And about me. Show you that I’m not stupid enough to make the same mistakes that you did. That I’m smart. But I was wrong. I was so wrong. 


Abigail sits next to her and hugs her. 


Abigail: You are smart Kyra. We just make mistakes sometimes. We all do. 


Kyra cries harder. 


Kyra: I didn’t even know what you were going through. I couldn’t even see it. And I still blamed you for being dumb enough to let that happen to you. I’m sorry Abi.

Abigail: Shhh. It’s okay Kyra. I didn’t want people to see it. I didn’t want to see it. In the end, I did this to myself. 

Kyra: No Abi. You were on your own. We didn’t even have the opportunity to help you until it was too late. You’ve been telling me the whole time that this would happen, and I still didn’t listen to you. 

Abigail: It’s hard to see it when you love someone. 

Kyra: I tried to leave tonight. He’d flirted with the waitress the whole time we were at dinner. He told me he wouldn’t pay for me if I ordered anything over 10 dollars. I was just upset when we got back to his place and I tried to leave. And he grabbed me. He grabbed me and he threw me on his bed and then he…he… 


Kyra cries more. 


Abigail: Shhh Kyra. Its ok. I get it. 

Kyra: I should have listened to you. I’m lucky to even have you here. I should have listened. 

Abigail: It’s ok Kyra.

Kyra: I thought I’d be able to see the signs after what happened to you. 

Abigail: I thought I’d be able to see them too. I thought I was smart enough to not let that happen to me. To find someone who loved me and didn’t hurt me. I really thought thats who he was. you can’t always see the signs Kyra. But you’re still alive. You can leave. You can try again. 

Kyra: I miss you Abi. I can barely afford the rent, but I can’t fill your room. I can’t replace you. 

Abigail: You're not replacing me Ky. You’re just adding more to your life. Thats not a bad thing. That’s the best thing you can do. 

Kyra: You were my best friend. I was so mad. Mad at you. Mad that you let him take you away from us. From me. 

Abigail: I was mad too. Mad that I let myself get taken away. Mad that I’d never know what it was like to be with someone who really loved me. Mad that I wouldn’t get to stand by you when you got that. Mad that I let him isolate me so much that the last time I spoke to my mom was to tell he she was a bad mom, months before I died. So mad that I let him control me enough to ignore the last calls from my dad before he died. Mad that I would never get to try again. Mad that in the end I let my life came down to a guy who wanted to control me so bad that he stabbed me one night when I wouldn’t let him. I was mad. But this is the way it is. This is what life gave us. This is what you have to learn to deal with. You deserve to live a beautiful life Ky. You deserve to find someone who you can do that with. I am so sorry that this happened to you. But you get to wake up tomorrow and try again. 

Kyra: I miss you Abi. 

Abigail: I miss you to Ky. 

Kyra: I love you. I’m so sorry. I wish you could try again. Get everything you should have gotten. 

Abagai: You have nothing to be sorry for. I love you so much Kyra. Tomorrow you get to start again. Get everything you should.


Kyra nods her head. 


Kyra: Tomorrow I get to start again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss you

New Year, New Dreams, New Goals